About Michigan City
Michigan City is a thriving community with a diverse population and a welcoming atmosphere. Michigan City’s population of approximately 32,000 grows during the summer months with flocks of vacationers and visitors. Top employment sectors are gaming, healthcare, public education, corrections and manufacturing. Michigan City offers affordable housing, a growing job market, a thriving Uptown Arts District and an abundance of recreational opportunities.
- Two private/parochial high schools
- Three parochial elementary schools
- Michigan City Area Schools
- AK Smith Career & Technical Center
- Montessori School
- Purdue University Northwest
- Ivy Tech Michigan City
- Lubeznik Center for the Arts
- Michigan City Public Library
- Michigan City is within forty miles of Notre Dame University, Indiana University Northwest, Indiana University South Bend & Valparaiso University
- Franciscan Health Michigan City
- Medical Clinics
- Dentists and Orthodontists
Recreation & Entertainment
- Blue Chip Casino
- Michigan City Marinas
- Michigan City Parks
- Washington Park Zoo
- Friendship Botanic Gardens
- Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets
- Department Stores
- Antique & Resale Stores
- Live Theatre
- Art Galleries
- National Park
- View all upcoming Community Events on our community calendar.
Jobs & Volunteer Opportunities
- View all Jobs & Volunteer Opportunities in our area on our job board.
- Michigan City is governed by an elected mayor and city council.
- Visit the official City Government website for department and contact information.
- Municipal Bus
- South Shore Passenger Train (NICTD)
- Municipal Airport
- Coach USA (SB & Chicago Airports)